Startup Success Series: Raising Capital in a Crisis
The Startup Success Series is designed to provide insight and education on the topics that matter most to the founder community right now.
Each week Startup Victoria hosts a 1-hour webinar for the community, focussing on a specific topic. There’s only so much we can squeeze into 60 minutes, so following each webinar you can access further resources in our Startup Success Series articles.
The Startup Success Series is supported by LaunchVic.
LaunchVic is Victoria’s startup development agency. LaunchVic invests in organisations and projects that empower entrepreneurs to scale innovative companies and deliver new industry benefits to the Victorian economy.
Navigating the investment landscape can be challenging for founders, and not just for those who have never done it before. Each raise looks different from the one before and your skills in navigating the process develop over time. If you are seeking investment for your startup now, it’s helpful to know what to expect from investors in an economic downturn.
Virtual Event Recording
About: Watch the webinar recording below for an update on the investment landscape and what changes to expect from some of Australia’s best known VC firms. Expert panellists include; Chris Quirk, Investment Manager at Rampersand, Imogen Baxter, Head of Community at Squarepeg Capital and Mason Yates, Analyst at Blackbird VC and moderator Will Richardson, Head of Venture Capital at the Impact Investment Group and Managing Partner at the Giant Leap Fund.
- 2:00 – Introductions
- 11:24 – How should founders go about fundraising?
- 22:08 – Are VCs looking for solutions in particular sectors or industries?
- 32:44 – What can founders expect in the next 12 months in the VC landscape?
- 41:05 – How has a reliance on financial forecast changed compared to pre-COVID19?
- 46:07 – Insights into the global VC landscape
- 51:20 – What are we optimistic about?
- 52:23 – Final thoughts and notes
Insights on our new economy
About: Recently our panel moderator, Will Richardson facilitated a deep discussion with three of the Impact Investment Group’s backers and friends of the fund. It is a rare glimpse inside the minds of those who fund VCs.
You can read a transcript of that discussion on the economy and broader fallout from COVID-19 here.
Keep up to date with the VCs
About: Each of the VC firms that participated in the Startup Success Series panel produces regular newsletters for the community. We recommend signing up to receive regular updates as the investment landscape continues to change.
- For insights on the impact startup landscape, sign up to Giant Leap Fund’s fortnightly newsletter, Small Steps, here.
- If you scroll to the bottom of the Blackbird Ventures Community page here, you can sign up for their emails.
- For investment notes and other community updates from the Square Peg team, subscribe to their newsletter here.
- Rampersand are saving your inbox and providing updates on Medium. Check out their latest articles and follow them here.
If there are further resources and programs on this topic that may be helpful for founders, please contact us and we will update this page.