Startup Success Series: Founder Focus
The Startup Success Series is designed to provide insight and education on the topics that matter most to the founder community right now.
Each week Startup Victoria hosts a 1-hour webinar for the community, focussing on a specific topic. There’s only so much we can squeeze into 60 minutes, so following each webinar you can access further resources in our Startup Success Series articles.
The Startup Success Series is supported by LaunchVic.
LaunchVic is Victoria’s startup development agency. LaunchVic invests in organisations and projects that empower entrepreneurs to scale innovative companies and deliver new industry benefits to the Victorian economy.
The world of startups has carried an obsession with productivity for years. Programs like the 5 am Club offer ways to increase your productivity, but what about your focus? How do you know if you are working on the right work? How do you get your head into the zone when your day is littered with momentum-halting Zoom calls and working from home feels like groundhog day?
Finding and maintaining focus can be a founder’s greatest superpower. Building and growing a startup means your to-do list is infinite. You cannot manufacture time, so figuring out what to fit into each day is important.
That’s why for this edition of the Startup Success Series, we spoke with experts Dr Amantha Imber, Founder of Invetium & ‘How I Work’ podcast and Ashutosh Priyadarshy, CEO & Co-Founder at Sunsama on productivity, prioritisation and focus.
Virtual Event Recording
About: Watch the webinar recording below to learn more about how Amantha and Ashutosh tackle and view productivity, their tips and tricks, and an audience Q&A.
1:53 – Introductions
6:40 – What does productivity and focus mean to you?
13:53 – Setting productivity goals
18:18 – How Sunsama works and blank time
22:17 – Practical advice on prioritisation
33:00 – Top tips for minimising distractions
37:30 – Energy for less exciting tasks
41:08 – One thing you can do to move towards being more focused
47:40 – Q&A
About: A collection of books, resources and webpages on productivity, time management and efficiency.
- Mary Oliver – Upstream (Selected essays)
- Mary Oliver – Of Power and Time
- Jenny Odell – How To Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
- Cal Newport – Deep Work
- John Doerr – Measure What Matters
- Teresa Amabile – The Progress Principle
- 21 Tips to Become the Most Productive Person You Know
- How to Be More Productive: 4 Tiny Tweaks to Make
- 18 Habits of Highly Productive People: What Efficient People Have in Common
Useful Apps and Websites
About: Useful apps and websites designed to help you manage your time better and be more productive whilst you work.
- Freedom – Freedom blocks distracting apps and websites so you can stay focused on what’s important.
- Superhuman – Superhuman is an email client with advanced features designed to minimise interaction times based on the 100ms rule. Some of its features include A.I. Triage; Undo Send; Insights from social networks; Follow-up Reminders; Scheduled Messages; and Read Statuses.
- Tempo – Tempo offers a full suite of time tracking and management tools.
- Serene – Serene is an app that blocks distractions and plans your day on productivity goals you set.
Dr Amantha Imber Resources
About: Learn more about and connect with Dr Amantha Imber!
- Amantha’s website
- Learn more about Inventium here
- Listen to Amantha’s ‘How I Work’ podcast here
- Take Inventium’s Chronotype test to find out what type of worker you are here
Ashutosh Priyadarshy Resources
About: Learn more about and connect with Ashutosh Priyadarshy!
- Check out Sunsama, Ashutosh’s startup. Sunsama helps professionals manage their workload by prioritising and organising your daily tasks.