Startup Success Series: Digital Marketing
The Startup Success Series is designed to provide insight and education on the topics that matter most to the founder community right now.
Each week Startup Victoria hosts a 1-hour webinar for the community, focussing on a specific topic. There’s only so much we can squeeze into 60 minutes, so following each webinar you can access further resources in our Startup Success Series articles.
The Startup Success Series is supported by LaunchVic.
LaunchVic is Victoria’s startup development agency. LaunchVic invests in organisations and projects that empower entrepreneurs to scale innovative companies and deliver new industry benefits to the Victorian economy.
Digital Marketing: you know you need it, but have no idea where to start. It’s vast – from setting up social media accounts for your startup, to SEO, remarketing and everything in between, there’s a huge amount of knowledge to learn quickly as a new founder to ensure you get the word out through all the available digital channels. On top of this, there are constantly new tools and platforms being developed, released and becoming popular – how do you keep up?
There are ways to stay on top of this rapidly changing and growing industry. Learning best practice, knowing what to focus on and when, and keeping an eye on what the most successful companies are doing will help, but we want to share the tips, tricks and advice from experts who’ve done this before.
That’s why for this edition of the Startup Success Series, we invited veteran digital strategist Luke Marshall to offer advice, guidance and tips to early-stage and first-time founders. This session covered all the basics, giving a strong base to further build your knowledge on digital marketing.
Virtual Event Recording
About: Watch the webinar recording below with Luke’s presentation on digital marketing followed by an audience Q&A.
1:15 – Introductions
8:20 – Understanding your audience
13:10 – Marketing objectives
16:47 – Finding customers online
22:05 – Focusing your marketing efforts
27:14 – Common pitfalls
33:44 – 4 skills for hacking marketing
41:40 – Q&A
Luke’s Cheat Sheet
- Click here for Luke’s cheat sheet! Here you’ll find a summary of all the main points from the session, presented for your convenience.
Landing Page + Website Builders
Here are some recommended landing page and website builders from Luke:
- Carrd – simple, free, fully responsive one-page sites for pretty much anything.
- Unicorn Page Builder – a simple landing page builder for startups, mobile apps, and SaaS.
- Squarespace – a simple website builder offering customisation options and templates.
Recommended reading from Luke:
- Traction – for how to think about channel selection.
- Non-Designer’s Design Book – for looking tighter / more professional.
- Ultimate Sales Machine – a timeless sales + marketing manual on education-based marketing, selling to a list, and pigheaded determination.
- The Law of Shitty Clickthroughs – blog post on marketing channels.
A Crash Course in Data and Google Analytics
Watch this video by Luke on Google Analytics:
Connect with Luke!
- Follow Luke on Twitter here!
- Learn more about Luke and the services he offers on his website here!
- Did you know Luke is a Startup Vic Office Hours Advisor? Check out his Advisor profile here and subscribe to a Founder Connect membership to book a session with him!