Startup Success Series: Business Models 101
The Startup Success Series is designed to provide insight and education on the topics that matter most to the founder community right now.
Each week Startup Victoria hosts a 1-hour webinar for the community, focussing on a specific topic. There’s only so much we can squeeze into 60 minutes, so following each webinar you can access further resources in our Startup Success Series articles.
The Startup Success Series is supported by LaunchVic.
LaunchVic is Victoria’s startup development agency. LaunchVic invests in organisations and projects that empower entrepreneurs to scale innovative companies and deliver new industry benefits to the Victorian economy.
Every good founder will tell you that whilst bright and innovative ideas are at the core of a startup, the execution of the idea is what will make or break it. At the core of a strong startup is a solid, purposeful and sustainable business model designed to help maximise the scale, profitably and impact of the product or service it offers.
That’s why for this edition of Startup Success Series, we’ll spoke with Greg Nyilasy, Kerri Lee Sinclair and Willian Korim about business models for startups. We’ll go through your options, their pros and cons and more, followed by an audience Q&A.
Virtual Event Recording
About: Watch the webinar recording below for the full discussion on business models followed by an audience Q&A.
- 1:13 – Introductions
- 7:45 – Business models primer presentation
- 34:30 – Panelist’s comments
- 38:51 – Business models in practice
- 41:22 – Examples of early-stage startups changing business models
- 48:47 – Audience Q&A
Tools and Resources
- Business model generation: A handbook for visionaries, game changers, and challengers – Osterwalder, A., Pigneur, Y., & Clark, T.
- Disciplined entrepreneurship: 24 steps to help entrepreneurs launch successful new ventures – Bill Aulet
- Disciplined entrepreneurship workbook – Bill Aulet
- Entrepreneurial finance: Strategy, valuation, and deal structure – Smith, J. K., Smith, R. L., & Bliss, R. T.
- Open business models: How to thrive in the new innovation landscape – Henry Chesbrough
- Scaling lean: Mastering the key metrics for startup growth – Ash Maurya
- Platform scale: How an emerging business model helps startups build large empires with minimum investment – Choudary, S. P., Parker, G., & Van Alystne, M.