Startup Success Series: Accelerators and Incubators 101
The Startup Success Series is designed to provide insight and education on the topics that matter most to the founder community right now.
Each week Startup Victoria hosts a 1-hour webinar for the community, focussing on a specific topic. There’s only so much we can squeeze into 60 minutes, so following each webinar you can access further resources in our Startup Success Series articles.
The Startup Success Series is supported by LaunchVic.
LaunchVic is Victoria’s startup development agency. LaunchVic invests in organisations and projects that empower entrepreneurs to scale innovative companies and deliver new industry benefits to the Victorian economy.
Accelerators and incubators – chances are if you’re a new founder, you’ve already heard these words, but what do they mean?
There are 23+ accelerators and incubators in Victoria alone. There are several programs run by universities across the state, top-notch commercial accelerators and industry specific programs. They’re all a bit different – how do you know which one is the best choice for you (if any).
Often the terms accelerator and incubator are used interchangeably, but there are some differences. They certainly share qualities – they provide guidance to startups, help advance their business, strategy and aim to prepare startups for investment or significant growth. Sounds good right? So which steps as a founder can you take to increase your chances of success when applying to an accelerator or incubator?
We covered exactly this and more for this week’s edition of the Startup Success Series! We were joined by industry experts to take you through everything you need to know on accelerators and incubators.
Virtual Event Recording
About: Watch the webinar recording below followed by an audience Q&A.
- 2:43 – Introductions
- 7:23 – Panelist’s elevator pitches
- 12:13 – The difference between an accelerator and incubator
- 16:25 – Benefits of taking part in a program
- 19:37 – How do accelerators and incubators work?
- 32:39 – Advice on getting the most out of a program
- 36:24 – How to make a strong application
- 38:42 – Audience Q&A
LaunchVic’s Accelerator and Incubator Resource
Connect with the Panellists and Learn More about their Programs
- Connect with Lisian on Linkedin here and learn more about Swinburne Accelerator Program here.
- Connect with Lauren on Linkedin here and learn more about Startmate here.
- Connect with Rechelle on Linkedin here and learn more about SBE Australia here.
- Connect with Matt on Linkedin here and learn more about RMIT Activator here.