Resources in Support of Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC)
Startup Victoria stands in solidarity with Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC) oppressed by police brutality and systemic racism.
We’ve compiled a list of resources to educate and inform positive action both in support of Black and Indigenous peoples and in protest of police brutality and racism.
Please feel free to share this page, and if you have any further resources you’d like to add let us know at email@example.com and we’ll add them to the list.
Anti-Racism Resource Document
Here is a huge directory of multimedia resources to educate people on anti-racism. You’ll find resources for white parents on raising anti-racist children, as well as a long list of recommended articles, videos, books and podcasts on the subject. Take a look here.
Barayamal Accelerator is a program designed for Indigenous entrepreneurs and founders. Applications have recently opened – find out more and apply if eligible here.
Here is a Linktree directory of funds, charities and organisations accepting donations that you can support. They have also included reading lists and social media accounts sharing information and resources.
First Nations Education
Common Grounds is a huge wealth of knowledge and educational resources related to First Nations culture. Visit their website here.
The Webby Awards
The Webby Awards have a huge directory of resources related to the Black Lives Matter movement here. They cover everything from how to be an ally to listing support organisations.
Guide to Allyship
An open-source tool designed to provide you with the resources for becoming a more effective ally. Read it here.
How to Safely Protest During a Pandemic
Main Street Ventures
Main Street Ventures’ primary mission is to support emerging businesses that show potential to create jobs and other opportunities in Box Hill. They have a particular focus on Women, Migrant, Refugee and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander entrepreneurs that have been historically under-represented as founders. Find out more here.
Organisations Fighting for the Rights of Indigenous People
- National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations – the national peak body representing 143 Indigenous health services
- The Healing Foundation – a national organisation that partners with communities to address the ongoing trauma caused by actions like the forced removal of children from their families
- SNAICC – the national non-government peak body in Australia representing the interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children
- Aboriginal Medical Services Alliance Northern Territory (AMSANT) – the peak body for Aboriginal community controlled primary health services in the NT.
- First People’s Disability Network – a national organisation representing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with disability and their families.
- Black Rainbow- a national advocacy platform and touchpoint for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Queer, Transgender, and Intersex (LGBQTI) peoples
- APONT – An Aboriginal governance and management program that builds strength and resilience in NT Aboriginal Organisations
- Lowitja Institute – a national institute for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health research
- TSYRSA – provides sports funding, financial support and community grants to Indigenous people within the Torres Strait region
- AbSec– provides child protection and out-of-home care policy advice on issues affecting Aboriginal children, young people, families and carers.
Places to Volunteer and/or Donate in Support of Indigenous People
Rampersand’s VC Inclusion Advisory Board
Startup Vic industry partner Rampersand announced a new initiative that aims to understand and help address the funding gap for under-represented founders last year. You can learn more here.
Reading List for Education on the History of Indigenous People in Australia
- Find out about over 400 Indigenous people who have died in custody. Not one person has been charged
- The Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies has great resources
- Share Our Pride debunks myths and the “you can’t ask that” type of questions but also just gives a good overview of Indigenous Australia
- Common Ground shares First Nations cultures, histories and lived experiences
- This guide of better reporting and understanding Indigenous people is useful for everyone not only those in the media
Sunshine Behavioral Health
Sunshine Behavioral Health is working to help to reduce the shame and stigma sometimes associated with mental illness and mental health treatment in the Black community. Check out their guide to mental health issues facing the Black community.
Vervoe are a Melbourne-based startup who help companies make hiring decisions based on performance, eliminating unconscious bias from the process. Their aim is to give every candidate an opportunity to showcase their talent. You can learn more about them here.
Victorian Women’s Trust
Victorian Women’s Trust have compiled a huge directory for anti-racism resources. You’ll find social media accounts, reading lists, podcasts and more. Take a look here.