Systems Administrator / DevOps Engineer
Rome2rio makes travel planning easy. We are a door-to-door travel search and booking engine, helping you get to and from any location in the world. With millions of unique monthly visitors, our travel search and booking service is one of the top online travel planning tools used around the world.
We are looking for a System Administrator / Development Operations Engineer to join our growing team in Melbourne. In this role, you’ll work within the Platform team to ensure that our infrastructure is maintained and that the development teams have the tools and environments required to work efficiently on the range of engineering projects that make Rome2rio successful.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- automating and optimising server commissioning and maintenance ;
- maintaining our growing infrastructure ;
- assisting in the configuration and maintenance of developer services ;
- monitoring site availability, reliability, and performance ;
- creating and implementing plans to tackle redundancies, backups, and recovery ;
- assisting in managing our site and infrastructure security ;
- managing our local office network and providing general technical support ;
- providing technical assistance in product releases and deploys; and
- researching, recommending, and implementing technical solutions for infrastructure, monitoring, and related problems.
Check out our company blog for an idea of what we are busy working on.
Who we’re looking for
We are looking for somebody who has a real passion for systems administration. Qualifications are valued but not required. Experience with a broad toolkit, the ability to thrive independently, and a “get stuff done” attitude are important to us. We value people who are platform agnostic and are willing to work in any software (or hardware) environment. You must be based in Melbourne.
Skills and requirements
For this role you should:
- have advanced understanding of PC hardware and operating systems (Windows and Linux) ;
- be comfortable in a command prompt ;
- have experience with scripting languages such as Bash or Powershell ;
- be familiar with SQL and NoSQL database systems ;
- be familiar with version control systems ;
- possess excellent problem-solving skills ;
- have a willingness to learn on the job; and
- have experience or willingness to work in a team, mentor team members, review code and contribute to the implementation of good engineering practices.
Candidates will be looked upon favourably if they:
- have experience using or administrating Salt, Puppet, or other automation tools ;
- have experience using or administrating Jenkins, Bamboo, TFS Team Build, or other build systems ;
- are familiar with relational database packages such as PostgreSQL or MySQL, as well as NoSQL databases such as Redis ;
- have experience with WordPress administration ;
- have experience with Linux administration (server) ;
- have experience with Windows administration (workstation and server) ;
- have a Computer Science, Software Engineering, or another relevant degree; or
- are able to code in OO languages such as C# or C++ (at any level).
Rome2rio, based in Melbourne, Australia, is busy helping people get from A to B around the globe. We offer a door-to-door travel search engine that returns itineraries for air, train, coach, ferry and driving to and from any location.
We have recently expanded our services to include on-site ticketing as we move to a hybrid search and booking model. We are a globally recognised, profitable start-up and pride ourselves on the can-do, engineering-centric culture built by our founders who are both developers themselves. Our team brings experience from companies such as Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Viator, BBC Travel, Lonely Planet and Intrepid Travel.
Working at Rome2rio means that you will be immediately responsible for shaping a consumer focussed product used by millions worldwide alongside a deeply involved leadership team that actively seek and listen to the opinions of staff to improve and expand our offering. Your work will have plenty of impact!
Pay & Perks
We really value our team and aim to offer competitive salaries. This role has a salary range of $60,000 to $90,000 per annum plus superannuation, depending on your skills and experience.
Our team is based in a fun, creative and social loft-style warehouse in Richmond with table tennis and pool tables, plenty of break areas and access to nearby restaurants, cafes, and bars.