There are a lot of things we think are great about working at Linktree but we are biased, so here are the answers to the things we get asked most by Engineers when we are hiring at Linktree:
What is your tech stack?
The below doesn’t mean we expect everyone to have all of the below, our primary languages are react, node.js with some legacy PHP so that is great to have as a starting point.
The rest of our stack includes React, Node.js, Typescript, Storybook, Elasticsearch, REST APIs, PostgreSQL, GraphQL, AWS (Lambda), Kubernetes, Terraform and Snowflake. Our first build was in PHP so that is in our legacy code but React/Node is where the stack is headed.
What do you look for in engineers?
Great problem solvers who enjoy collaborating with others (not just engineers) that value well written and tested code. A match with our current tech stack and the ongoing desire to continue to learn new skills and share yours with others. Experience in similar startup environments can be good as you are used to this style of working but we care more about you and your skills over what names are on your CV.
Where is this role based?
We are mostly based in Melbourne but currently have engineers in Perth, Tasmania, Newcastle, Queensland, country Victoria, and Ireland. Our CTO Mitch Malone is also fully remote so you could be anywhere really. We are still all working from home due to COVID but plan on being a mixed remote and on-site company beyond that.
What is your dev environment like?
Linktree has grown a lot and quite quickly, which means our structures and processes aren’t perfect, yet. That should be ok with you and if anything, appeal to you so you can contribute to the design of those systems.
We are agile with one of our Lead Engineers also an agile coach and cross-functional. We don’t have BA’s or have any intention of hiring in the near future, as we expect our Engineers to do requirements analysis and work closely with Product Managers and Designers on developing user stories. Our Engineering team writes unit, integration and e2e tests and we have a DevOps specialist building out DevOps practices.
What is your company culture like?
Linktree’s company culture and values are based around collaboration, diversity, inclusion, and flexibility. Those are all nice words but to give you some more specific examples:
- We are family-friendly and flexible work environment with our team with a number of our team working hours around school and home commitments
- We have several diversity and inclusion initiatives underway, including a D&I council, training for all staff on neurodiversity and the incorporation of a transgender inclusion policy
- Our team is diverse across age, gender, and race and we love that
- Due to COVID we are all remote but even when COVID is behind us, we will be a mixed remote and in-office company. With our team already spread across 8 locations and 3 countries, we will always be some form of remote.
- All employees have free access to https://www.smilingmind.com.au/ & https://uprise.co/, including 1:1 coaching sessions from qualified psychologists or counselors.We have grown quickly in 2020, from 20 people to 40 in the past 6 months, and have more growth planned due to the continued expansion of our customer base around the world.
The Linktree story…
The Linktree journey begins in 2016, when co-founders Alex, Anthony and Nick were running a digital agency and using Instagram to make announcements about the artists they managed. Created as a side hustle to solve a simple problem, Linktree has well outgrown its roots, with over 9 million users worldwide, 20,000 + new signups every day, and over 120 million unique views per month. Paired with rapid growth, Linktree has recently garnered much attention in the tech world, earning 4th place on Fast Company’s “10 most innovative social media companies of 2020”.
The Linktree audience is broad, spanning publications, artists, celebrities, fashion and beauty influencers, YouTube stars, sports teams and household brands, right the way through to individuals with a side hustle and micro-influencers. Linktree subscribers include Alicia Keys, Selena Gomez, Pharrell, Jamie Oliver, Vice, Red Bull, Adult Swim, Patreon, Naomi Campbell, Comedy Central, Gordon Ramsay, Billabong…and many more!