Senior Engineer – Global Social Enterprise
We’re a purpose-led company that’s amplifying the actions of ordinary people who are changing the world on issues like COVID-19, climate change and refugee rights. We’ve helped over 11,500 campaigners in 23 countries raise over $50M. We’re backed by the Telstra Foundation and Blackbird Ventures and are based in London and Sydney.
Why we’re hiring this role?
With our Senior Front End Engineer, you will play an integral role in a team that’s figuring out how to get people to take action on important social issues.
This role will suit someone who wants to go from JIRA ticket to shipped fast, then see the business results and iterate. You’ll get to see what impact your work is having on a daily basis and learn more in 3 months than you would in 3 years in a dev shop.
While our main HQ is in Sydney, we are all currently working from home due to the risk of Coronavirus transmission. We’re open to candidates in Melbourne and Brisbane working remotely.
What you’ll be doing?
You’ll be joining our Engineering Team in Sydney and will be responsible for:
- Building and architecting the future of our product, a crowdfunding platform that helps social cause campaigners raise money and build awareness
- Making technical and infrastructure choices about how to build the product – you’ll have a high degree of flexibility to choose what tech you think works
- Improving the speed at which we work by improving infrastructure process, such as our Bitbucket Pipelines deployment scripts and our testing suites
- Instrumenting our app to collect the right data to measure the impact of experiments, gain deeper insights on how users are engaging with our product and where they’re leaking out
- Working with the Engineering Team to ship code every week
As you get more familiar with the product and our customers, you’ll be providing input on what product initiatives we should pursue too. In addition to this, we provide opportunities for our engineers to stay connected to our customers through mentoring sessions and events.
You’ll be successful in this role if you are:
- Strong in PHP, and ideally experience with Laravel. Fundamental understanding of back end-best practices.
- Be familiar with MySQL and good structures for efficient database models.
- Experience building RESTful APIs and working knowledge of Git.
- Although your role will be weighted towards the backend, as we’re a small team, you’ll need to be comfortable stretching yourself into the front end – ideally, you would be familiar with or interested in learning React.
Bonus points for:
- You have experience scaling a PHP application, both horizontally and vertically.
- Previous experience in a product or agency environment – you’ve got a few projects under your belt and have incorporated learnings into the next one.
- Familiar or interested in DevOps tasks as they come up – we use a Laravel/Nginx/MySQL stack on AWS EC2/RDS.
- You’ve worked with the non-profit/charity/advocacy sector before.
- Compensation for this role will be competitive and include equity ownership in Chuffed.org.
- You’ll be able to work flexibly from our office in Chippendale or from home.
- Most importantly, you’ll be doing work that you’ll be proud of and see the impact of it straight away.