Senior Data Engineer
What’s the job?
Health care in Australia has undergone 10 years of change in 3 weeks. HotDoc is hiring for a senior data engineer as we define the modern digital health care experience. Our mission during this transition to digital-first health care is to help practitioners maintain and even improve their standard of care while keeping everything as safe and accessible as possible for patients. This is an opportunity to work for a fast-growing health-tech startup where your actions make a difference to millions of patients and tens of thousands of health care providers across Australia, now and into the future.
What’s in it for you?
High impact business, green field projects, with a fun, diverse team. This will be a foundational role as we grow — you’ll get to grow with us, and experience your contribution to the company first hand. You will create products you can be proud of, and that our users love. And we offer a market salary, with startup perks, in a flexible and remote-friendly work environment.
What will you be doing?
In this role, reporting to the Head of Operations, you’ll help set a vision for data-driven, automated company operations, and work with a small team of dedicated engineers and data scientists to execute that vision.
- You’ll help GP clinics, and the health care industry more broadly, transition to telehealth and digital-first care delivery.
- You’ll architect and build modern, cloud-first data pipelines to support product features, business operations automation, and internal & customer-facing metrics & reporting.
- Along the way, you will help set the way the operations data team functions — mentoring teammates, talking with other departments, and codifying HotDoc’s framework for incorporating new systems, datasets, reports, and analytics.
Our main stack is based around Stitch, Airflow, BigQuery, and Metabase, with a lot of Python glue. We’re right now building a new CI/CD-first data stack, using Buildkite to build & run dbt jobs on k8s. That said, nothing is set in stone. Whether you think we should move to a serverless Rust backbone that uses Presto to query a Datomic model and display it in a custom d3 + WebGL frontend, or if you think we should just use cron, curl, Postgres and sendmail — we’re all ears.
Who will you be doing it for?
As the preferred vendor of healthcare software solutions, HotDoc is improving the patient experience for over 5 million Australians and counting. HotDoc helps bridge the gap between patient and doctors nationwide, by providing cutting edge technology and an easy, proactive, and accessible means of managing the patient journey from booking to check-in.
What you must have
- Experience building data pipelines end-to-end, from source systems to data products.
- Experience working with modern data engineering technologies like Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, Apache Airflow, or similar.
- Fluency in Python and SQL.
What we’d love you to have
- Familiarity with software engineering best practices, using software collaboration tools like GitHub, CI/CD, and testing.
- Experience working directly with stakeholders to determine requirements at all scales, whether it’s to support a whole-of-business operations process, or a specific statistic to be included in a specific report requested by a customer.
- Experience leading engineers in a small, dynamic team (this role does not have formal direct reports, but is a senior role within the team).
- Wisdom to know when to extend existing tools, when to build new ones, and when to just use a spreadsheet.
- We have a beautiful, green office on the Yarra River in Melbourne’s CBD that boasts the best balcony view in Melbourne.
- Flexible work from home options — very likely to get a lot more flexible from now on!
- A kitchen full of fresh fruit, snacks, tea and a serious coffee machine. We also have some particularly talented bakers here!
- Lots to do in and out of work with end-of-year parties, team events, table tennis, competitions, BBQs and a yearly Talent Show.
- A health & well-being subsidy that can be used for a gym membership, personal training, or yoga.
- An EAP program with assistance to help everyone be at their best, at work or at home.