Frontend Software Engineer
Birchal is Australia’s leading equity crowdfunding platform, licensed to host offers under Australia’s relatively new crowd-sourced funding regime. The Australian CSF industry, which commenced in 2018, is nascent but accelerating with approximately 120 successful CSF offers completed, raising approximately $80m across the industry (as at February 2021), the majority of which have been completed on Birchal.
Opportunity & Role
We’re looking for a talented frontend developer to join our product engineering team. They’ll report to the CTO and will work alongside our other software engineers to ideate, scope, and build features across our service offerings. They’ll help design, build, and test new features based on Birchal’s mission, either driving growth, increasing engagement, investigating new market opportunities, or enhancing existing products.
At Birchal, our software engineers are full-stack and get to work on projects built with React and Node.js. We’re serverless on Google Cloud and use CockroachDB as a primary datastore. We also like to experiment with flashy, new technology. One example, we’re working on a universal design system and have been experimenting with new frontend technology like Svelte.
We’d like to hear from you if you have commercial experience with any of this but also if you’ve expertise in other technology. We’re looking for someone that will take the initiative and be prepared to challenge the status quo. You’ll be one for discovering new ways of doing something better.
What We’re Looking For
- 2+ years commercial software development experience with frontend technology and some experience working with the backend.
- Likes working with UI frameworks and libraries e.g. React, Vue.js, Angular, or Svelte.
- Can surprise us with HTML and CSS/SASS. Have you worked with Tailwind CSS? Are you a CSS Grid Layout ninja?
- Loves a tool or two in their toolbox. Some things we use are ESLint, PostCSS, Rollup, and Vite.js.
- Has an eye for design and likes creating pixel-perfect layouts. Appreciates a well-designed UI and knows what it takes to provide an amazing UX.
- Comfortable using version control systems. We use Git.
- Familiar with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment.
- Strong communicator and collaborates well to provide technical direction. Comfortable working in a dynamic environment that includes design, development, testing, and deployment.
- Appreciates well-tested software, likes to refactor code, and enjoys doing code reviews.
Any Of The Following
- Design System knowledge
- Familiarity with Web Accessibility standards
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with Google Cloud
- Experience with SQL
- Experience working in startups
The First 12 Months At Birchal
During the first month, you’ll go through a complete induction to understand more about what Birchal does, our company culture, the products and services we provide, the codebase, and our team. We’ll provide you with all the tools you need to be successful. Your first code for Birchal will be pushed to production.
From there, you’ll get the opportunity to take ownership of some of the more complex projects on our roadmap, right through to delivery.
After 6 months, you’ll be an integral part of the product engineering team; designing, developing, testing, refactoring, and delivering new products and services.
What We’re Offering
- Competitive base salary + super package
- All the tools to make you successful
- Time and support for self-development
- Key involvement in determining our product’s direction
- Great coworking location in Cremorne, Melbourne
- Casual dress code with flexible work-from-home policy
- Hack Fridays