Events and Community Assistant
Title: Events and Community Assistant
Working hours: 2-3 days a week, casual contract. We frequently run in person and online events, some of which take place outside of normal working hours (eg. before 9am or after 5pm).
Location: Our team works both from home and in person at The Commons in Cremorne, Melbourne’s fastest growing startup hub.
Start date: ASAP
Who are Startup Victoria?
Startup Victoria is Australia’s largest network for founders, with over 60,000 people in the community. We are the go-to destination for all things startup!
Building a startup can change your life and the lives of others. It’s a complex endeavour, but Startup Vic is here to guide founders along the way.
As a grassroots membership organisation, Startup Victoria is independent & founder focussed. Victorian founders come to us because we help them to build connections that matter.
We’re a small team with a big presence and our regular events include:
- A monthly Pitch Night which can attract up to 500 people
- A monthly networking event, Founder Connect, with 25-60 guests
- The Startup Success Series – a monthly educational webinar
- Private meetups and education events for our members
We’re on the hunt for an Events and Community Assistant to help us deliver our program of events, education and support to founders. If you’re keen to get into the world of startups and can bring together a brilliant event, we’d love to hear from you.
You’ll be working closely with a small, high-performing team with high standards of execution and a strong mission focus. You will ensure Startup Vic’s events are memorable and watertight.
- Event delivery: Bring your creativity and energy to our in-person and online events with members and the broader startup community
- Event planning and project management: Manage event timelines and tasks to ensure everything runs smoothly
- Venue liaison and booking: Book awesome venues, catering and other support for in-person events
- Logistics: Manage online event logistics (creating event links, inviting panellists, creating polls etc.)
- Online presence: Create Eventbrite pages and send event comms to speakers and guests, upload content to our website and social media channels
- Community liaison: Field email queries from our community, with support from the team
Skills and attributes
We’re looking for someone who is:
- Self directed: Loves working in a tight knit, high energy, flexible team that’s driven to build a supportive and inclusive community for impactful founders
- Organised – Loves being the organiser and can stay on top of all the details which make our events fantastic experiences
- Tech savvy – Is comfortable using common tech tools and can pick up new software quickly (eg. Canva, Eventbrite, Zoom, Slack, G-Suite). Has basic design skills (eg. creating event banners and social media tiles using Canva or similar).
- Quick thinker and resourceful: Can cope with the unpredictability of live events and stay calm when things don’t go exactly to plan
- Great communicator – Can communicate effectively and warmly with our members and partners – virtually and in real life
You’ll love working with us if you’re excited to
- Play a crucial role in growing the largest startup community in Australia
- Supercharge your network across the Australian startup space and work alongside founders, investors and other community builders.