Bookkeeper – Startups & VC
Driven by our obsession with invention and seeing bold ambitions flourish in the real world, LUNA partners with founders and investors in the startup space to see good ideas grow into great businesses.
We’re a Startup Studio that provides a suite of legal and accounting services along with purpose-built education curriculum. Our uniquely-cultivated network opens up invaluable parts of the startup ecosystem—including investors, mentors and subject-matter experts—and supports entrepreneurs in launching, scaling, pitching for investment, and beyond. We are an agile team that focuses on delivering customised solutions to founders looking to reimagine the world.
We know that legal and accounting are the most essential services for entrepreneurs throughout their startup lifecycle. That’s why we consolidate and bring together these two functions under one roof. LUNA provides consistent, cross-functional support to create the critical foundations required for any thriving startup. We then pair these services with expert mentorship, education and subject-matter expertise to nurture well-rounded founders so they have a higher chance of building Australia’s next billion dollar businesses.
Our growth has been exponential over the past five years and we are looking to grow our existing strategic tax offering (which sits within our broader accounting arm) by bringing in more talented tax and accounting minds into our team. People of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply and specifically women, people of colour and First Nations People.
You should keep reading if you:
- Are based in Melbourne or Sydney
- Have studied a bachelor of commerce or accounting with at least 1-2 years of professional experience
- Have experience with bookkeeping and payroll support for small and medium businesses
- Have a desire to learn at a really fast pace and have excellent attention to detail
- Are super savvy with Xero
- Believe commercial realities must be balanced against accounting compliance complexities
- Have the desire to work as part of a highly collaborative team (this is NOT your standard accounting firm structure!)
- Are passionate about innovation and the idea an ever changing work environment
- Crave connection with your teammates and are willing to foster that connection through team building, personal and professional development
- ARE LOOKING FOR YOUR NEXT BIG CHALLENGE
It would be an added bonus if you have any of the following in your toolkit:
- You’ve started your own business or have experience working in a startup
- You’re a registered BAS agent
- You have experience managing multiple clients at a time
- You have deep payroll knowledge and experience
- You have either started or have aspirations to complete your CA or CPA
Your role at LUNA:
- Service Delivery – providing end to end accounting support to the most exciting startups and venture capital funds in Australia with a focus on bookkeeping services
- Build LUNA’s Accounting Practice — we want you to play an integral role in building our accounting business. Alongside our Head of Accounting, Daniel Ross, you will be doing everything from building out our internal systems and processes to developing new and interesting products for our clients.
- BD – we don’t see rain making as something that is just for “Partners” — it’s a core skill for any entrepreneur and that’s exactly how we see all of our team: entrepreneurial in spirit and attitude. This might mean attending and representing LUNA at startup events or taking clients out for coffee.
- Impact — we want you to have an impact beyond our accounting services. This means presenting to accelerator programs and founders, writing up helpful articles and blog posts and using tech to build out new accounting products.
Why choose us?
- We are a highly motivated team that lives and breathes behaviours that bring our values to life. All team members are accountable to these behaviours and values, no matter how senior.
- We’re at the forefront of what’s happening in Australia’s startup landscape… like, so far at the front of the bus the driver can hear us breathing. We’re at events, co-working spaces, incubators and accelerators. Work at LUNA is anything but chained to your desk…
- We have an incredible amount of fun together. We had a sock-wrestling tournament once and, to be honest, everyone was a winner that day.
- We’re proud of creating a safe space for different kinds of people and all kinds of ideas with a commitment to diversity and inclusion. People of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply and specifically women, people of colour and First Nations people.
- Generous investment in your personal development and future career aspirations. We want you to be great — Majestic. Like a unicorn… but in your own body.
- Hybrid Working: last year the world changed a little bit and so did our working style, we are a hybrid team and committed to it going forward – mixing remote working with in person experiences. While we are mainly based in Melb and Syd, our team is spread out across Aus, from Byron Bay to Perth, we make it work.
- An extra week of leave on top of the Australian 4-week paid leave minimum. An extra week of paid vacation time, people! We’re also committed to supporting budding families and offer all LUNA parents 2 weeks “top up” and 4 weeks fully paid leave in addition to what they get from the government.